Jan and Mark were Art educators for 39 years. They currently reside in Cincinnati, Ohio.
As a sculptor of assemblages I bring a meticulous, technical rigor to bear
on sometimes delicate and mundane materials.
As an artist I ‘anticipate’ the inexplicable harmony that will be created
when seemingly incompatible materials are brought together.
The discarded objects, the found objects,
the remnants or scraps
are what I work with,
. . . and the moment these objects
no longer are seen as discarded,
I’ve resurrected them.
They acquire new meaning
within new contexts.
This process of ‘appropriation’,
coupled with the tender task of imbuing
the new composition
with rhythm and beauty is where the passion and the work of my Art resides.
I create figurative ceramic sculptures that have a story to tell. The stories are explorations of the fairytales that are part of our culture and surround and affect women and their lives. Like all fairytales my pieces deal with the distortions between what is and what society's expectations are. They deal with those emotional responses that are often hidden for fear of condemnation. The sculptures also tend to speak of natural and the unnatural aspects of our lives.
EDUCATION . . .
1972 - 1976 B.A.
Edgecliff College, Cincinnati
Athenaeum of Ohio, Cincinnati
EXHIBITIONS . . .
- - 2021 'A Walk in the Woods' Cincinnati Nature Center
- 'Cardboard' Manifest Gallery, Cincinnati, 2021
- 2021 Weston Art Gallery, 'Summerfair Select' Exhibition
- 60th Annual Mid-State Art Exhibition, Evansville Museum of Art / 2021
- 2020 Stay & Wonder Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio
- 2019 Historic Bears' Mill Gallery, Greenville, Ohio
- 2019 'Best of 2019', Ohio Craft Museum & The Springfield Art Museum, Ohio
- 2019 'A Walk in the Woods' Cincinnati Nature Center
- 2019 - ‘Wonder II’ Christ Cathedral invitational exhibition, Cincinnati, Ohio
- 2019 - ‘The Mind Garden’ Caza Sikes Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio - 2018 'Constella Festival', group exhibition, Memorial Hall, Cincinnati, Ohio
- 2018 'A Walk in the Woods', group exhibition, Cincinnati Nature Center, Cincinnati, Ohio
- 2018 'Riffing Picasso', group exhibition, Caza Sikes Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio
- 2018 'Seven Artists - Seven Paths', Joe Stewart Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio
- 2018 'The Makers' Marks', four person exhibition, The Barn Woman's Art Gallery, Mariemont, Ohio
- 2018 'Face the Sun' two person exhibition, Caza Sikes Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio
- 2017 Kennedy Heights 11th Annual Juried Exhibition, Cincinnati, Ohio
- 2017 Rosewood Gallery, Kettering, Ohio two person exhibition
- 2017 Evendale Fine Arts Exhibition, Evendale, Ohio
- 2017 'Reused + Recycled', Brazee C-Link Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio
- 2017 'Turn & Alter', Xavier University, A.B. Cohen Art Gallery
- 2017 'Alchemize', University of Mount Saint Joseph, Studio San Giuseppe Gallery
- 2016 Golden Ticket Exhibition, Clifton Cultural Arts Center
- 2016 'Black & White', Pop Revolution Exhibition, Mason, Ohio
- 2015 Figurative Folklore Exhibition, Covington Arts Center
- 2013 Golden Ticket Exhibition, Clifton Cultural Arts Center
- 2011 'Interior Structures', two person exhibition, Awakenings
- 2010 'Angels & Saints', two person exhibition, Awakenings
- 2008 'Recent Work', Awakenings
- 2010, 2012 'Parallel Visions',
Mount Saint Joseph University
- 2005 'A Single Guy"s Dating Diary', two person exhibition,
Playhouse in the Park, Eden Park, Cincinnati
- 2003 'Sacred Geographies', two person exhibition, Risch Gallery,
Ft. Thomas, Kentucky
- 2002 'Threshold', two person exhibition, Classical Music Hall of Fame, Cincinnati
- 2000 'Working Within the Frame', two person exhibition,
Mind & Matter Gallery, Covington
EDUCATIONAL RECOGNITIONS . . .
2015 Recipient of the Ohio Art Education Association 'High School Teacher of the Year Award'
2005 Recipient of the Ohio Art Education Association 'Middle School Teacher of the Year Award'
1998 Recipient of the Shilderink Family Chair Award for Distinguished Teaching
2002, 2001,1996 Recipient of Ohio Arts Council Fellowships
2005 Recipient of a National Gallery of Art Fellowship
1985 Achieved the Rank of Master Teacher
EDUCATION . . .
University of Cincinnati